Thursday, August 02, 2007

Bridge Collapse

My mother and Joshua were driving toward downtown last evening when they heard on the radio about the bridge collapse. The radio had broadcast news of the tragedy only minutes after the collapse.

Joshua immediately called my father and me to let us know that he and my mother were safe. He called my father first, and me immediately afterward. Neither of us had even heard about the disaster until Josh called us and let us know what had happened.

My mother and Josh turned around and went home, and my father and I went home, too. No one was interested in dining out and attending a Noel Coward play after learning what had happened.

7 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you and your family are safe. I have a couple of friends in Minneapolis that I need to check on.

    Blessings.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, David. That was very kind of you.

    I hope your friends in Minneapolis are safe, and I hope you have been able to confirm their well-being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot give you a report on "Private Lives", as promised, but perhaps we will be able to catch a performance before the end of August. I will let you know if we do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minneapolis is such a quiet gem of a place that it is odd (but not surprising) to see the national news outlets spend so much time on it. Having been away from Minnesota for so long it is strange to see it get so much attention. Too bad it is because of this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas, what happened is almost unbelievable. I grieve for those who died and for those who are missing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In 1981, three walkways overlooking the lobby of the Hyatt Regency Hotel in K.C. collapsed, killing 114 and injuring 200 others.

    I mention this only to note that the entire city was traumatized for weeks afterwards. The newspaper reports were heartrending. I still tear up when I think about the lives lost and the families affected. The repercussions go on for years

    Once again, blessings on the people of Minneapolis as they cope with this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you again, David, for your kind words and thoughts.

    I have read about that Kansas City disaster.

    It occurred, did it not, during a square-dance event?

    ReplyDelete